Alloway State School
2021 Term 2 course 1 – The Joy of Light
Here’s something really exciting to kick of term 2 science – The Joy of Light!
Join us for 6 weeks of science and you’ll explore LIGHT in depth, including: study the light we cannot see, and play with high amp lasers bright enough to burn your hand! We’ll be making rainbows, setting fire using the sun, and exploring the dance moves of light (reflect, refract, diffract, interfere and polarisation!) As an added treat, we’ll light up our own LED’s, and building a jiggling Artbot to help you explore robotics and colour! We focus on a hand on science learning approach that is known to be safe, effective, and fun!
We have 2 exciting show options this term, so chose that which suits your family best!
· $99 a student for 6 weeks of science (Most groups pay that for 5 weeks, but, hey, this is Alloway 2021!) BOOKINGS ARE ESSENTIAL!
1. April 28: The dance moves of light, and a Laser to keep!
2. May 5: The light we cannot see: Infrared – insulation, and setting fire to things – wisely!
3. May 12: The tricks of light: UV light, Radio waves, micro waves, gamma rays, X-rays.
4. May 19: Lighting up an LED.
5. May 26: Artbots! BYO three good textas to draw with.
6. June 2: Making light and Rainbows!
· Right after school Wednesdays in the undercover area, though we do sometimes use the nearby classroom when occasion permit or the weather insists!
What students are saying
I loved how the balloon turned to fire – Tom, St Vincent.
I loved how the glasses made all the different colours – Luea, St Vincent.
“You have an amazing show, it was awesome. Dave” Grade 1 student, Jinibara state school.
What parents are saying
So engaging, interactive and informative! They took away so much information that they were sharing with each other! They were so excited! – Ms Adams, St Stephen’s college.
What was memorable: The engagement and interest of the children. The language used – understandable and appropriate. The hands on ‘play’ time. – teacher, St Vincent.
“Brilliant session!! Fun and informative. I learnt heaps and the children had a blast!! Thanks, Miss Jane. Jinibara State school.
· An hour of hands on, minds on fun that kids will love and remember!
· Be taught by an expert level science instructor with over 18 years’ experience in home-school, kindy, primary school, high school and tertiary settings, and an actual doctorate in the philosophy of science education!
· Over a dozen pages of teacher/parent notes FREE online for you to help extend the learning for your insatiably curious learners.
· Access to expensive and powerful specialist science equipment that cannot be easily obtained by most families.
· Often children will make a simple yet engaging science toy to take home and keep. We strive to use repurposed and recycled materials to show kids how much fun can be found in simple, everyday materials. Some materials can be brought by the families from home.
We focus on an inquiry based, constructivist rich pedagogy that draws out the student learning rather than simply conveying science concepts in an interesting manner (i.e., we're more than just 'performers'.) This is so much more effective at engaging students and future scientists than just blowing things up (though we do love to blow things up!) Besides, what can be better than learning about school science from an actual scientist!
We not only make science fun, we make scientists.