Hervey Bay Homeschool Science
2021 Term 2 – Photons and Electrons.
Here’s something really exciting for term 2 science –Light and Electricity!
BOOKINGS ARE ESSENTIAL!
Having trouble affording, emotionally or otherwise, 6 weeks? – Then book the science show OR the science course, whatever your family needs!!!
· $99 a student for 6 weeks of science (Most groups pay that for 5 weeks, so I have no excuse for this…)
· $10 just for a 1 off show, May 10th, 10:30am till 11:30am, which overviews the following five weeks. Science toys and Dr Joe’s books may also be bought on this day.
Or Join us for 6 weeks of science and you’ll explore LIGHT and ELECTRICITY in depth, including: the light we cannot see, and play with high amp lasers bright enough to burn your hand! We’ll be making rainbows, setting fire using the sun, and exploring the dance moves of light (reflect, refract, diffract, interfere and polarisation!) As an added treat, we’ll light up our own LED’s, and building a jiggling Artbot to help you explore robotics and colour! We focus on a hand on science learning approach that is known to be safe, effective, and fun!
1. May 10: The dance moves of light!
2. May 17: The light we cannot see: Infrared – insulation, and setting fire to things – wisely!
3. May 24: The tricks of light: UV light, Radio waves, micro waves, gamma rays, X-rays, and a Laser to keep!
4. May 31: Lighting up an LED.
5. June 7: Artbots! BYO three good textas to draw with.
6. June 14: Making light and Rainbows!
· Where? Girl Guide hut, The Corner of Torquay Terrace & Denmans Camp Road, Scarness
· When? 10:30am (if numbers are sufficient we will open up extra times)
What students are saying
I loved how the balloon turned to fire – Tom, St Vincent.
I loved how the glasses made all the different colours – Luea, St Vincent.
“You have an amazing show, it was awesome. Dave” Grade 1 student, Jinibara state school.
What parents are saying
So engaging, interactive and informative! They took away so much information that they were sharing with each other! They were so excited! – Ms Adams, St Stephen’s college.
What was memorable: The engagement and interest of the children. The language used – understandable and appropriate. The hands on ‘play’ time. – teacher, St Vincent.
“Brilliant session!! Fun and informative. I learnt heaps and the children had a blast!! Thanks, Miss Jane. Jinibara State school.
· An hour of hands on, minds on fun that kids will love and remember!
· Be taught by an expert level science instructor with over 18 years’ experience in home-school, kindy, primary school, high school and tertiary settings, and an actual doctorate in the philosophy of science education!
· Access to expensive and powerful specialist science equipment that cannot be easily obtained by most families.
· Often children will make a simple yet engaging science toy to take home and keep. We strive to use repurposed and recycled materials to show kids how much fun can be found in simple, everyday materials. Some materials can be brought by the families from home.
We focus on an inquiry based, constructivist rich pedagogy that draws out the student learning rather than simply conveying science concepts in an interesting manner (i.e., we're more than just 'performers'.) This is so much more effective at engaging students and future scientists than just blowing things up (though we do love to blow things up!) Besides, what can be better than learning about school science from an actual scientist!
We not only make science fun, we make scientists.
Book online when you CLICK HERE (https://www.creatingscience.org/store/p22/Science_club_%40_Hervey_Bay.html )