Science Wyrks – Dr Joe’s project-based science education programs. By design or request!
· Looking to engage in a fun, hands on science PROJECT that lasts for several weeks, and touches on EVERY ASPECT of the national curriculum?
· Want to feel unstuck on your science curriculum?
· Want to grab a coffee while the kids learn?
This year Dr Joe’s Science Wyrks Exploratorium is offering “Motion Madness”
Each week we will focus on a new topic that makes motion happen! We either engage in a hands on science experiment, the kind the original scientists were engaged with, or build a science toy that illustrates the science content easily and entertainingly! We have over a dozen pages of parent notes each week to help you extend the learning (and do the required paperworks!). With this course you will KNOW how objects move and why we believe what we believe about friction, inertia, momentum, gravity and time! Our course includes;
1. Inertia and Hovercraft with Newton’s first law
2. Mass, weight, floating, and Newton’s super important and always overlooked 2nd Law.
3. Bottle rockets and Newton’s third law
Curriculum outcomes includes (but are not limited to)
· Physical sciences 2: A push or a pull affects how an object moves or changes shape.
· Physical sciences 4: Forces can be exerted by one object on another through direct contact or from a distance.
· Physical sciences 7: Change to an object’s motion is caused by unbalanced forces acting on the object.
Tuesday’s only (at this point)
There is no set starting date – you start when you turn up! Times are either 10am or 2pm.
Class sized capped at 6 students – a homeschooler’s dream!
Offered at the same day and place as the Science Tutorspace, the Science Wyrks – Millbank
(Exact address and other finer details available after you book)
What students are saying
'I think that the classes are a great way for kids to learn science because you make it fun thanks.' From Gahi.
'It’s very fun, try it out!' Jayden Samnels.
'It felt much more fun than a normal science class would.' Jared Germain.
What parents are saying
'And we would like to say a huge thank you for the great science classes you provide, the children and I love them! Thanks!' Tracy Richards. Kepnock home school science club 2021
'Interactive, hands-on, “Wow” experience. Doing things we can’t necessarily do at home – Home school parent, Karalee.
'This is a fabulous opportunity for home educators to engage their kids in science. Highly recommended for everyone. Your very relaxed delivery encourages participation – questions were encouraged!! Robyn Grey – North Lakes.
· An hour of hands on, minds on fun that kids will love and remember!
· Be taught by an expert level science instructor with over 18 years’ experience in home-school, kindy, primary school, high school and tertiary settings, and an actual doctorate in the philosophy of science education!
· Over a dozen pages of teacher/parent notes FREE online for you to help extend the learning for your insatiably curious learners.
· Access to expensive and powerful specialist science equipment that cannot be easily obtained by most families.
· Often children will make a simple yet engaging science toy to take home and keep. We strive to use repurposed and recycled materials to show kids how much fun can be found in simple, everyday materials. Some materials can be brought by the families from home.
We focus on an inquiry based, constructivist rich pedagogy that draws out the student learning rather than simply conveying science concepts in an interesting manner (i.e., we're more than just 'performers'.) This is so much more effective at engaging students and future scientists than just blowing things up (though we do love to blow things up!) Besides, what can be better than learning about school science from an actual scientist!
We not only make science fun, we make scientists.
Book online right here!