Bundaberg Homeschool Science
2021 Term 2 course 1 – The Joy of Light
Here’s something really exciting to kick of term 2 science – The Joy of Light! Here we’ll kick off the course with a cool science show about light. Then re-join us for 4 further weeks of science and we’ll explore in depth, including: study the light we cannot see, and play with high amp lasers bright enough to burn your hand! We’ll be making rainbows, setting fire using the sun, and exploring the dance moves of light (reflect, refract, diffract, interfere and polarisation!) We focus on a hand on science learning approach that is known to be safe, effective, and fun!
What would you expect to pay for over an hour with a professional scientist, with over 20 years’ experience in teaching science and more than a day’s worth of preparation for every show? With specialist science equipment you cannot get anywhere else, and some really cool fun science toys students get to keep? Well, we have 2 exciting show options this term, so chose that which suits your family best!
· $10 a student. Show only, Wednesday 21st of April, 2021. Kepnock science hall, 10am. BOOKINGS ARE ESSENTIAL!
· $99 a student. The show on the 21st of April, a science kit, and 4 more weeks of science club! BOOKINGS ARE ESSENTIAL!
1. April 21: The Joy of Light! – a fun science show for everyone! (You can come just this week for $10 a student, or for the whole course for $99 a student)
2. April 28: Science club – The dance moves of light, and a Laser to keep!
3. May 5: Science club – The light we cannot see: Infrared – and setting fire to things – wisely!
4. May 12: Science club – The tricks of light: UV light, Radio waves, micro waves, gamma rays, Xrays.
5. May 19: Science club – Making light and Rainbows!
· Times? Science show 10am. Science workshops either 10am or 11am (if numbers are sufficient.)
· Where? Kepnock Scout Hall - 11 Elliott Heads Rd Kepnock QLD 4670
What students are saying
I loved how the balloon turned to fire – Tom, St Vincent.
I loved how the glasses made all the different colours – Luea, St Vincent.
“You have an amazing show, it was awesome. Dave” Grade 1 student, Jinibara state school.
What parents are saying
So engaging, interactive and informative! They took away so much information that they were sharing with each other! They were so excited! – Ms Adams, St Stephen’s college.
What was memorable: The engagement and interest of the children. The language used – understandable and appropriate. The hands on ‘play’ time. – teacher, St Vincent.
“Brilliant session!! Fun and informative. I learnt heaps and the children had a blast!! Thanks, Miss Jane. Jinibara State school.
· An hour of hands on, minds on fun that kids will love and remember!
· Be taught by an expert level science instructor with over 18 years’ experience in home-school, kindy, primary school, high school and tertiary settings, and an actual doctorate in the philosophy of science education!
· Over a dozen pages of teacher/parent notes FREE online for you to help extend the learning for your insatiably curious learners.
· Access to expensive and powerful specialist science equipment that cannot be easily obtained by most families.
· Often children will make a simple yet engaging science toy to take home and keep. We strive to use repurposed and recycled materials to show kids how much fun can be found in simple, everyday materials. Some materials can be brought by the families from home.
We focus on an inquiry based, constructivist rich pedagogy that draws out the student learning rather than simply conveying science concepts in an interesting manner (i.e., we're more than just 'performers'.) This is so much more effective at engaging students and future scientists than just blowing things up (though we do love to blow things up!) Besides, what can be better than learning about school science from an actual scientist!
We not only make science fun, we make scientists.
Book online right here!