Science club - Ellen Grove (term 1, 2020) - MaD Science!
Mad Science, Term 1 - 2020.
Fiction, balance, light and eyeballs, inertia, and the sun – all vital science for understanding high speed racing, solar cars, and even a homemade Billy Cart. We’ll be exploring the science around these and, for a little bit extra, you can make a homemade of your own to keep.
1. Dissection (help to get started then students can take off on their own!)
2. Light and the power of the sun (safety and energy)
3. Inertia. (Hovercraft, and Billy cart base and seat)
4. Friction. (Friction climbers, and stopping a Billy cart)
5. Balance? Center of mass and gravity. (Balance birds and Billy cart steering)
Costs (inc. GST)
1. $99 for a super fun 5 weeks science course, with a toy to make and keep each week,
2. $199 for the course PLUS a billy cart we build over the course.
This not only gets you an hour per week of fun, hands on science with a professional scientist of science education, it gets you enough notes to keep you going for another two weeks of science! A full days preparation and all science materials are included in the cost.
For those who are interested we will build a billy cart in the final weeks, otherwise you can make a related science toy to illustrate the science ideas on those weeks.
Feb 3, 17, March 2, 16, and 30
Ellen Grove Uniting Church
Here at Creating Science, we want each and every student that attends to have the best learning experience possible – while parents need not attend we even welcome parents who want to join in and help with their own young learners. The home-school learning journey is a deeply personal one, and we will always do our best to teach whomever arrives on the day. While no homework is given, we are happy to explore, engage with, and even mark any work students bring in from home regarding the science experience this term. We will always have extra notes online for every class if you’d like to go deeper, and encourage high school students to take full advantage of this!
Equipment needed at different points. As with almost all science experiments in the field, we recommend you bring;
· Covered shoes for all feet.
· Tight fitting clothing so as not to catch on things.
· Long hair tied tightly back.
· Gardening gloves for little hands during the build of billy carts.
· A lab coat if you have one.
· A helmet/ stack hat for billy cart experiments (week 5,6)
In all seriousness, science is dangerous because life is dangerous. But life doesn’t always come with a ‘here’s the danger’ sticker – we need to learn how to manage those dangers and make those stickers ourselves! Every activity herein can be accessed online, but the internet doesn’t always prepare you for the incredible dangers a little bit of scientific knowledge can hold. So we’re here to fill that gap; to prepare tomorrow’s scientists and science citizens to safely, confidently and competently manage the very real dangers of life and science!!!
All participants families will need to sign our parent permission form, and it will be deeply appreciated if all families will sign our release of talent form, so that we can use pictures and videos to promote science online, in the community, and in the upcoming book ‘Creating Science 2 – Dangerous Science’.
(No refunds for any reason. Parents should sign up for the entire unit if they want to find out if this will work for their children. Missed lessons can be caught up online and materials obtained in following weeks. Thank you, all, for your continued support of home-school science education excellence!)
Places are limited to 12 per class - Book soon!